Wednesday, November 5, 2014

"Ain't I a Woman" by Precis

Sojourner Truth, in her spontaneous speech dubbed "Ain't I a Woman?" asserts that all women should be treated equally. Truth uses parallelism (Ain't I a Woman?), the bible (Jesus had a mother) and her own personal experiences (I was never helped from a carriage) to prove two things: one that women in general were more tough than they seemed and just because they are "mothers" doesn't mean that they need to be babied and secondly that black women deserve the same respect as white women. Truth uses the bible as an argument for why she, and her fellow women should all be treated equally. In “Ain’t I a Woman” Sojourner Truth is directly addressing the women’s rights conference, but more widely addressing the men and women of the world.

1 comment:

  1. "more tough" or "tougher". Other than that - this is pretty good!

    ReplyDelete