Thursday, October 9, 2014

Personal Narrative

Personal Narrative: River Trip

I don’t know what I “want to be” when I grow up; I do know who I want to be though. This past week my father, mother, a family friend, and I canoed down the Nsutlin River for one week. In the Yukon wilderness, nobody cares how your hair looks, or how you smile at the lunch table. What matters are the fundamentals: warmth, food, and surviving without hitting your boat mates over the head (believe me, sometimes you wanted to). If you are prepared for anything then the likelihood of happiness and success increases: just like in life. The core principles that I would like to achieve in life that will affect my person are: outstanding influences, positive mental attitude, the ability to listen, and passion for whatever I eventually “choose to be” when I grow up.

“Another layer” This was my Dad’s mantra as we began to stuff our bags full of what we would need in order to be prepared for the river trip. He set out all of our cold weather gear in the living room. “Another layer”, our house looked like a next made by a pack of squirrels on steroids. Clothes, sleeping bags, and zip lock bags full of peanuts were everywhere. Each person picked their own layers to bring on the trip with them.  “Another layer” The first layer: Long Johns are the base layer; they are super warm and fundamental for river trips. “Another layer”, then came the fleece and wind-breaker these two could be switched out and, although important, weren’t nearly as crucial as the long johns or the next layer: the rain coat.
Be careful of negative layers…  it feels great but “cotton kills”.  My old trusty rain coat is neon orang and delaminating at the cuff, but it kept me good and dry on the river. Last, but certainly not least was the life jacket. Although I never fell into the water, despite my bad steering, if I had the life jacket would have saved me. Just like on the river, I surround myself and will continue to surround myself be good “layers”; these layers may not necessarily be clothes, but rather positive influences that affect my performance. These layers are my support system, the things, people or pets that I fall onto in order to keep the cold brutal world at bay. “Another layer” the long johns are my family. They will always be the closest to me. My friends, the windbreaker and fleece, because it is important to not rely on any one friend to heavily. "Another layer” The rain coat is my closest friend whom, although, they have their faults, is always there for me to support me. Everyone whom I come into contact with, between the nice lady at the grocery store, or my coworker who knows just the right time to give me a smile, they are my life jacket. It is important to know your support systems, don’t be afraid to rely on them, because one day, they will need you in turn.
           
After all that preparation it was finally time to load up and move out. The First day paddling consisted of no major life threatening or changing moments, there was no riding a moose, or tipping the canoe, it was simply a beautiful day with a slight chill. The second day, however, I was allowed to steer. This should never be done. Not Only did I manage to spin us in a circle three times; but I also hit a record of nine trees. Needless to say, by lunch time I got moved out of the Captain’s spot.  All through out this experience though I kept getting down on myself and apologizing to Candace, our family friend whom had to endure the brunt of the tree impacts. Candace reminded me half way through my brutally humiliating driving day to not get down on myself because it only hurt me and would only add to my anxiety. Going down the river whenever one of us got cold or grumpy (usually one came with the other) the affected person’s paddling would weaken causing it to be a longer more painful haul to camp. P.M.A (Positive Mental Attitude) provides energy in a way that no kitkat bar, cup of black coffee, or 5 hour energy can, without P.M.A your path towards success will be a slow and agonizing crawl.

On the fourth day I was paddling with my father and my mom and Candace were up ahead when they signaled to us with a flurry of quiet arms to look at the east bank of the river. A Moose! It was a beautiful cow moose and I, of course, just simply had to state in my loudest voice “DAD THERE IS A MOOSE!” This promptly scared the moose back into hiding. Disappointed, and slightly embarrassed I kept paddling on when we came across a beaver dam. This time I was determined not to scare the wild animal away so I put my paddle up and we were able to float serenely past the two beavers who were chomping away and a fish. Knowing when to be quiet is important not only on the river, but also in real life. It allows you to listen to your friends and furthers your relationship.

No matter what you do or who you become, you should always have passion for something in your life. On the last night on the river I had just gotten out of the canoe, slightly chilled and slightly grumpy, my father commented, “you know it is a good river trip when you don’t want to go back to civilization.”, I think he was the only one that had that attitude at that particular time, but I could see his passion, not simply for the river trip, but for living in and with nature and recognizing the beauty of the outdoors.

Back in Kindergarten when I was asked what I wanted to be I said I wanted to be a veterinarian -then a doctor- then a mechanic. I never had it figured out, but now I do, I will: be surrounded by friends and family, have a good attitude no matter where life takes me, have the ability to listen, and I will be passionate. I know who I will be when I grow up, do you?



No comments:

Post a Comment